Re: [Asrg] Re: Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-30 20:01:02
irtf-chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org wrote:
What is this about, and why has none of it been mentioned on the list before? I'd imagine that a complete rewrite of the group's charter is probably something that should be a public process.

My interpretation of RFC 2014 is that chartering and rechartering are
ultimately done at the IRTF chair's discretion, with the IAB's consent.
It is in fact generally not a public process.

The relevant text from RFC 2014 is from section 2.2, "Charter":

A charter is a contract between a Research Group and the IRTF to conduct
research in the designated area. Charters may be renegotiated periodically to reflect changes to the current status, organization or
goals of the Research Group.

This may just be a point of operational protocol that I'm not aware of, but that sounds like the the group as a whole, or the members in that group, are involved in the process, and not just the chair and hierarchical superiors.

Is this just operating procedure that I'm not familiar with?

Regards and Happy New Year,
Philip Miller