RE: [Asrg] alok - penny black variation

2004-01-04 08:55:27

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On
Behalf Of Alok Menghrajani
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 9:34 AM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: [Asrg] alok - penny black variation

Hi,

I have been thinking about designing something like penny
black for a long time, but I never really had the time to do
anything serious. Anyways, I'm now motivated to work on my
idea, and I would like to have your comments on this matter.
(I really don't want ms designing this kind of stuff, they
have done enough harm to the world).

Before I begin, I would like to thank Marty Lamb
(www.martiansoftware.com) for all the emails we exchanged
together. He has developed a very interesting anti-spam
method (called tarproxy), which inspired me a lot.
(You should checkout his website if you have never heard of tarproxy).

For several reasons, I think it would be good to define a new
email protocol (this way we can fix a lot of things that
weren't quite right with email, but that's a whole different
discussion).

While I understand your thoughts on this I do not belive this group has any
interest in
Any kind of "replacement" of SMTP as such.
Please read the archives of perior email on this and the issues will be
spelled out in them.

As Far As I know / Understand this group is interested in methods to
suppliment SMTP and possibly add features to it that do not "Break" current
SMTP servers. This is difficult to do, but is more realistic today than
replacement.

But I do say that *IF* things do not change for the better there will be
more folks who say "can it and start over"
But to do so would create huge problems...

The protocol would work like this: sender
connects directly to receiver's server, does a processor
intensive calculation, if sucessful the server will accept
the email. All this is similar to penny black, and presents
one major problem:
what about mobile devices, pda's, mailing-lists, etc...

Alok Menghrajani
alok(_dot_)menghrajani(_at_)epfl(_dot_)ch
alokm(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu