Re: [Asrg] 3b - LMAP/SPF/etc - a request for clarification

2004-01-29 23:21:24
Fridrik Skulason wrote:
As I have mentioned before, my perspective is that of an anti-virus
developer.  I am very much in the favour of the adoption of an
authentication protocol, as that would make my life a lot easier - any
method that will make it easier for me to block firuses (or spam for that matter) that forges the sender

Now, what I am trying to understand is the relationsship between the
various proposals, and their differences - I am sure I am not the only
one who is getting a bit confused.

So, a request - could someone familiar with all the schemes, RMX, DMP,
SPF, LMAP etc... please create a summary of the differences - I am not
trying to start a discussion on which is the "best" - I am only trying
tu understand the differences between several proposals, all of which
are sort-of supposed to help with the same problem.

The basic concept of LMAP is to publish in DNS a list of IPs that are authorized to use the domain name in the MAIL FROM or HELO arguments of the SMTP transaction. The technical differences between RMX, SPF and DMP is how this data is stored in DNS, how it is parsed, extensibility and whether HELO parameter is addressed.

The discussion document provides a high level discussion of the issues relevant to the idea itself, with the drafts discussing the technical implementation details.

Hope this helps.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"All that is gold does not glitter" (LOTR)
-------