Re: [Asrg] 3c: *MX through extended ESMTP VRFY extenstion

2004-02-18 20:05:22
David Nicol wrote:
Andreas Saurwein wrote:
At 18/2/2004 22:26 Wednesday, you wrote:
Comments, please?

Only one: Which halfway sane mail administrator has VRFY enabled nowadays?

Are you trying to introduce better address harvesting support for ESMTP or what?
Sorry, I dont get it.

the proposed VRFYVIA does not imply VRFY.

Does LMAP etc. have a response to the "it would facilitate harvesting" argument?
That would apply here too.

I think Andreas was keying on the subject line you used and the way you phrased your proposal. This has disadvantages similar to VRFY, in that it could potentially be used to verify the authenticity of addresses if one isn't careful with the responses. On the other hand, we've seen that spammers have little to no motivation to prune invalid addresses from their lists, as they have little cost either in sending or in dealing with bounces.

LMAP has no response to 'it would facilitate harvesting' because anyone who reads the discussion document (not sure about the specific implementations) can see that it doesn't. It gives no information about any specific mailbox specification, only the relationship between an IP and a domain.

I'll comment on your proposal separately.

Philip Miller