[Asrg] Re: Sendmail backs Yahoo DK, MS CID

2004-02-29 14:04:37
From the article:
"Caller ID looks at the IP address of the sending mail servers, and the sender's post in DNS what the legitimate IP addresses of the sending servers are," says Sendmail's Anderson. "So the IP address of sending machines would be listed in DNS. A receiving mail server can go check DNS for the legitimate IP addresses that the mail should be coming from, and can determine whether the mail has come from the right domain."

I assume this would refer to ISP's mail relays, not individual end-users of ISPs (of course, ISP mail-relays *should* already be either locked down to the IPs of their dial-in customers, or password autenticated). Would this do anything about "spam worms" that are unwittingly opened by (authentic) users, and then are used as bots to send spam, like what (I think) happened at Indiana University the last couple weeks - they just updated the SMTP servers to require SSL authentication)

Jim Witte
jswitte(_at_)bloomington(_dot_)in(_dot_)us
Indiana University CS