RE: [Asrg] Sendmail CEO Backs Yahoo DK and MS CID

2004-02-29 16:17:49

The proposed methods I believe will tackle a percentage of the spam mail
problem

but it certainly won't eliminate it.

Spammers wont quit. it's not in their nature so we must look at ways they
will try to come up with to get around sender authentication.

obvious ones are...

Trojaned machines - by their nature authenticated
Uncloseted spammers - eg sheck-buy, authenticated cause they don't care
Third world spammers - sender authenticated but legally out of reach
Open Scripts - Authenticated by the insecure server (sendmail)

Any more to throw into the mix?

we should be putting methods into place before spammers can think of and
implement them.

In other words be proactive not reactive.

It is my firm belief that no single system will do the job, a toolkit is
required each tool tackling a different type of spam source.

Regards
Chris