Re: [Asrg] Accreditation Mechanism Proposal

2004-03-18 11:37:11
Mark E. Mallett wrote:
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 07:23:32AM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

A couple of random remarks from a very cursory reading:

There is no difficulty in ensuring that accreditation providers are accountable to email recipients. An accreditation authority that provides incorrect accreditation will soon be ignored.

Pretty bold assertion :-)
It hasn't held true with some DNSBL services.  Among other reasons is
the wide variety of definitions of "incorrect," as well as extremely
polar opinions about listing criteria, remedies, responsibility, et al.

The key difference from blacklists is that blacklists do not ask ISPs whether they want to be listed. Here, the sender actively goes to a provider and signs up, and then indicates his accredidation in some protocol.

My issue with this is something else - if all of this becomes prevalent enough, aren't we essentially raising a barrier of entry for new domains on the Internet? Doesn't such accredidation service essentially become a gatekeeper for the Internet?

Yes, I read Microsoft's proposals about different types of tricks for different domains, for example hash cash-type puzzles for smaller domains in lieu of accreditation. I am still not convinced that a given ISP will bother with supporting both accreditation and hash cash, they just might take the easy way out and only support accreditation services.

Yakov