[Asrg] Re: E-postage problems...

2004-04-20 17:24:11
Howsabout the whole damned phone system? Isn't that essentially a
"micropayments" system in many aspects?
In some, yes, in others, no. It differs from e-mail in that it's a closed
system, with relatively few players, rather stringent barriers to entry

One big difference I see is that with the phone system, you can only make one call at a time. With email, you can (continuing with the phone/email analogy), make thousands of calls at a time. Yes, you have "boiler-room" situations that generate "phone spam", but the cost to the boiler-room operator is high, and they have to pay people to staff them (or go illegal..)

And on the receiving end, there is a limit to how many junk-calls I can receive (24 hours in a day, and I'm going to cancel my phone service or complain to my Congressperson long before that limit is reached). With email, there is a similar limit (size of my inbox), but that is still enough for a couple hundred spam messages. (I'm not sure that last argument really holds water, but maybe it does)

Jim Witte
jswitte(_at_)bloomington(_dot_)in(_dot_)us
Indiana University CS