Re: [Asrg] 3. E-postage and rate limiting - next steps

2004-04-27 21:11:00
While the discussions may have been rather interesting at times, what next steps should be taken within the context of this group.

How about figuring out a robust hashcash and signature mechanism, and considering how well it would work, including the possibility of third parties selling hashcash as a form of decentralised e-postage. There's already some work in this area, which can be built upon, but a summary of this would be useful.

Oh, and I think I've figured out a way to do signatures without involving the message content (which is liable to change in transit under various circumstances). It ties in neatly with hashcash. :)

Simply put, since the hashcash must be unique per message, do the signature on the hashcash rather than the message itself. For messages which don't require high-value hashcash due to whitelisting, generate a trivial (say 8-bit) unique hashcash and use that for the signature.