Re: [Asrg] RE: 2a. Blacklists, collateral damage and anonymity

2004-05-05 14:18:02
On Wed, 5 May 2004 11:50:17 -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I do not think it is remotely possible to stop spam through blacklists.

If blacklists identify the spam-enabling networks, then spam is stopped for
those who take up the blacklists.   As always, the issue is one of uptake.
An orderly procedure for the operation and use of blacklists might therefore
be a Good Thing.

However history proves that when a pollution enabler is faced with a
definitive connectivity shutdown, the pollution stops in a matter of days
or even hours, despite all previous claims that it was impossible to stop
customers doing this or that etc etc.   For some enablers, only a
mallet works.

The plain fact is that if blacklists were accurate and agreed to be
widely adopted at a time certain, well announced in advance,
the spam would stop on that date, because any refractory polluter
would face instant bankruptcy  after said time.   The whole point is that
the  emergent structure (sociology term of art, my apologies but I
want to be precise so you can understand this is an engineering
problem just like integrated circuits) only emerges from the
mutual expectations of compliance.  Many/most have to jump
at once.

Jeffrey Race