Re: [Asrg] Re: Stinging Criticism

2004-05-13 18:03:31

Router manufacturers benefit from larger amount of traffic on the net -
the more traffic there is, the more equipment they can seel to ISPs.

If anything, the point about decreasing traffic and unnecessary load
capacity on the net can be made to ISPs and they do already know that,
its the question that real protection against zombie is not that simple,
ISPs would need to have additional equipment that will redirect all
traffic from port 25 to their own relay servers and then they also
have to actually maintain their relay servers as well as put protection
so that one user could not send too many emails (i.e. when computer gets
infected and becomes a zombie) as well as notification system to let
the users know their computer is a zombie and customer support to at
least give them some simple suggestions on what to do (i.e. dump windows,
install linux and we'll help you on the way :). In any case, when you
think about it, you'll realize that ISP steps to deal with zombies is not
a simple process and can be quite expensive for ISPs. At the same time
when I asked once on the isp forum how many would be willing to mark their
dialup and dsl ports as non-mta end-user ports primarily if this would
help decrease spam - most said they would be happy to do it if this was
something that is no more complex then reverse dns.