Re: [Asrg] Patenting HOWTO/FAQ ?

2004-09-11 12:05:39
Applying for a patent is best done by a patent attorney or patent agent,
especially if it is your first patent.

It's expensive.

Applying for and prosecuting a patent by yourself is possible but is not for
the faint-hearted.

In either case, I recommend "Patent It Yourself" by David Pressman.
http://www.nolo.com/lawstore/products/product.cfm/ObjectID/139AEDE9-69A0-4810-A7A87D2AD5422664

In the U.S. you can apply for a patent up to one year after you make it
public. However, in the rest of the world you cannot get a patent if you
have gone public before filing the application.

In the U.S. you can file a Provisonal Application for a Patent that will
preserve your rights.

You can read a short introduction to the patent process in an article at:
www.jmargolin.com/todo/pap.htm  (I wrote it.)

(And don't go to any invention company that advertises. Think of them as the
Spammers of the Inventor Community. )

Jed Margolin