[Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-01.txt

2004-11-19 12:14:19
Reading the above mentioned draft, may I play Devil's Advocate for a minute?

First, let me preface that I am new to the group. Forgive any stupid
comments that I may make and credit them to ignorance.

My comment regards 2, the DNS entry. Knowing that spammers are thinking of
ways to get around blocks, is the following a possible scenario?

If the IP number is: 192.2.2.3, with a domain of "bad.example.com", the DNS
entry would be: 3.2.2.192.bad.example.com. I understand that without a
problem. Suppose, just for grins (or panic), that the spammer adds lower
level domains and has a domain name of: 4.5.6.192.bad.example.com. Keeping
the IP number from the example above, the DNS entry would be:
3.2.2.192.4.5.6.192.bad.example.com. Would this pose a problem? I know that
this may be a wild scenario, but think about some of the e-mail addresses
that are used for Spam now, this may not be that outrageous.

Gary Allmond