[Asrg] SICS, definitions, and accountability for `spam`

2004-12-22 01:08:23
John reminded me (us?) that this list is not for discussing the definition of spam. Indeed, I agree, that we may better not begin argument on the precise definition of spam, and instead focus on mechanisms which may help solve the problem. Each of these mechanisms has its own goal, or set of messages this solution considers as `spam`. Let me therefore re-phrase our goal with SICS.

SICS allows any two mail agents (MTA or MUA) to agree on a set of labels for e-mail (or other) messages, where the labels identify messages belonging to a potentially-objectionable category (advertising, XXX, etc.). Such labels would allow the MUAs and MTAs of recipients to filter messages before they reach the recipient, based on the policy of the recipient (and of the MTA).

The main idea in SICS is automated, efficient, decentralized accountabily. A MTA that signs SICS labels is responsible for them to the end user or to the recipient's (SICS-enabled) MTA. This builds a very efficient distributed penlties mechanism for senders of falsely-labeled e-mail (`spam` for SICS purposes), which does not require customers to identify and sue directly the originator of the spam, and prevents blocking or penalizing messages (e.g. containing adult-rated content) if the recipient is not interested in blocking them; this protects free speech and ensures e-mail openness and zero cost.

SICS stands for Secure Internet Content Selection, since there is already a spec for defining such labels called PICS (Platform for Internet Content Selection); SICS mainly adds accountability.

We are now working on (open-source, patent-free) implementation. If there is interest in this working group, we will be happy to contribute these ideas and help the group (or sub-groups) investigate their potential value. In particular, we plan to make an I-D version, or help others interested and able to create such an I-D. We will also be happy to cooperate with other groups interested in implementing similar ideas.

Best, Amir Herzberg
Associate Professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Bar Ilan University
http://AmirHerzberg.com