Re: [Asrg] Why are we still here?

2004-12-31 08:24:04
3 dominates for me
Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kay" <peter(_at_)titankey(_dot_)com>
To: <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 6:12 PM
Subject: [Asrg] Why are we still here?

I've been a part of this list for some time now, in mostly lurking
fashion.
My question to the group is, if you read all the anti-spam vendors (me
included), they all claim high-9 catch rates and near-zero false
positives.
If this is the case, why are we still here trying to eliminate spam
when one
would think that, if the claims are true, the spam problem has been
solved?
I can only think of one of three reasons:

1. The vendor claims are false.  In the real world, you still get lots
of
undesireable email.
2. The vendor claims are true, but we're a bunch of perfectionists
searching
for infinite resolution of Pi.
3. The filtering paradigm is a non-solution due to increased use of
recipient resources (bandwith, storage, processing, end-user time,
etc)