Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, Vol 9, Issue 20

2005-01-18 23:29:06
On Jan 18 2005, Jeff Silverman wrote:

I am working with spamassassin and my problem with it is that it takes
too long and consumes too much virtual ram to process messages in a
timely fashion.  I think the answer is a faster and bigger (more ram)
server.  If so, then this will be a real expense due to spam.  For web
serving, name serving, firewall, and file serving, my little server is
perfectly adequate.  Only spam detection snows it.  As I said, dammed
frustrating.

Content filtering is always more expensive that simple lookups.
That said, before you buy more hardware:

SpamAssassin is well known to be relatively resource intensive. You
can save some of the costs by trying its daemon mode (google for
spamc/spamd), but you probably already tried that. There are also several spam
filters written in C which are orders of magnitude faster than SA on
freshmeat.

Plug: I've written a procmail bayesian filter that's pretty fast, see
      http://dbacl.sourceforge.net, or email me privately if you need
      assistance with it / find bugs.

--
Laird Breyer.