Re: [Asrg] Spammer proxies using legitamate mail relays

2005-02-15 20:50:06
Thanks for the detailed response Laird. I was well aware that once malware is installed on a computer, the computer is "owned" by the author of that malware. I'm simply curious about the actual state of implementation that
spamware has achieved.

I don't think spamware has gone as far as emulating physical user input. It hasn't needed to so far, not by a long way. Instead, it will simply harvest various databases on the machine (Outlook's address book, for example), then start opening sockets and spewing SMTP.

The content and immediate destination(s) of the messages spewed in this manner is pretty much irrelevant, although the engine appears to be able to do various kinds of replacements and mangling on the message to get it past content filters. I imagine a lot of the content production work is still done offline, before a spam run.

The above is just an educated guess, however. I don't actually have any of this software to hand for examination, nor do I think I want to. I'd much rather work on the solution than the problem.