Re: [Asrg] article: port 25 blocking

2005-04-12 00:49:59
George Ou wrote:

Blocking port 25 harms a lot of legitimate uses.  Why not do the following
to deal with the issue as a whole.

Blocking open relays harmed a lot of legitimate uses. In fact, quite a lot of the complaints about port 25 blocking today sounds awfully similiar to the complaints about blocking/closing open relays seven years ago. But it still happened, because the legitimate use of open relays was vastly outweighed by the abuse of it. I would argue that unblocked port 25 on consumer level accounts has a similiar ratio of abuse versus legitimate use that open relays did. Those who had legitimate use of open relays were able to find alternatives. Those who legitimately use outbound port 25 access have alternatives already which include smtp auth, ssh tunneling, VPN, configuring your MTA to use your ISP's mail server as outbound relay, asking your ISP for an exemption to blocking, or simply using a premium ISP which offers static IP and allows servers.
As the owner of a few small personal domains and someone
who uses outbound 25 for legitimate SMTP relay, I'd much rather you force me
to put in a few SPF records than blocking my outbound port 25 access.

If you actually read the article, his suggestion would completely accomodate your situation. He proposes that port 25 be blocked by default on dynamic address consumer level services, but that users can apply for an exemption with their ISP. Power user ISPs such as those that offer static IP would not be blocked by default. It also bears considering that, present company excluded, the number of people who legitimately use outbound port 25 on consumer ISPs is a vanishingly small number. Is it really worth allowing so much abuse to continue just to preserve this luxury for a few people who could use one of the alternatives above?

Similiarly, your suggestion to universally implement SPF would require that every domain and mail server on the planet to implement your solution, versus port 25 blocking which would only require a few power users to make some changes. Which is more likely to happen?

I agree with Larry. It's well past time to implement this on all consumer level ISPs.

--
James Lick -- 黎建溥 -- jlick(_at_)jameslick(_dot_)com -- http://jameslick.com/