RE: [Asrg] article: port 25 blocking]

2005-04-12 04:20:34
*  Then start requiring some sort of official registration or bonding of
domains who bulk send (based on Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse
measurements) so that we can either easily track you down for prosecution or
we confiscate the bond for any kind of abuses from an SPF abusive domain.

The problem with that is the existence of Zombie networks.  A significant
part of spam (and worm) distribution is from compromised/infected
home computers, and with dynamic IP allocation you cannot justify blocking
the entire ISP just because some of their users have been infected - not
unless you are doing the blocking to FORCE them to implement port 25
blocking, that is.

My proposal has always been that ISPs should block port 25 traffic from
"home" computers, but someone running a ttypical "small business" server
should not be blocked the same way.

Given the huge amount of spam/worm traffic generated by compromised home
computers there is simply no good reason not to block port 25 for those
machines.

--
Fridrik Skulason   Frisk Software International   phone: +354-540-7400
                   E-mail: frisk(_at_)f-prot(_dot_)com       fax: