RE: [Asrg] I-D: Email Submission Between Independent Networks

2005-05-08 06:56:14

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Larry Seltzer wrote:

This document effectively says that all users are to send their email by
relaying it through their ISP SUBMIT service (not only home but also while
traveling) rather then make attempts to do it directly.

Or they can use port 587 to submit to external services. That's what I
remember reading

Correct. External services that made prior arrangement with user for using
such a service, i.e. its an xSP (ISP/ASP/MSP..) service.

That is effectively the same thing as ISP email service, we just separate meaning of email service being provided by ISP into email receiving service and email sending service and specify that both may involve separate independent arrangements and separate providers. I suspect that in 99% of cases its still going to be the same provider, but its good to provide for possibility of alternative just in case.

---
William Leibzon
  mailto: william(_at_)completewhois(_dot_)com
Anti-Spam and Email Security Research Worksite:
  http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/
Whois & DNS Network Investigation Tools:
  http://www.completewhois.com