[Asrg] Impracticalities

2005-05-08 11:40:31
This document effectively says that all users are to send their email by
relaying it through their ISP SUBMIT service (not only home but also while
traveling) rather then make attempts to do it directly.

Or they can use port 587 to submit to external services. That's what I
remember reading

Correct. External services that made prior arrangement with user for using
such a service, i.e. its an xSP (ISP/ASP/MSP..) service.

That is effectively the same thing as ISP email service, we just separate
meaning of email service being provided by ISP into email receiving service
and email sending service and specify that both may involve separate
independent arrangements and separate providers. I suspect that in 99%
of cases its still going to be the same provider, but its good to provide
for possibility of alternative just in case.

That's completely, hopelessly impractical if a user is traveling and has no
control over the originating path of their outgoing E-mail.

Examples of such users are those using airport waiting lounge Internet access
kiosks, Internet cafes (say, in Cozumel), cruise ship Internet cafes, public
library Internet access carrels, Internet access rooms (say, over the post
offices in Beijing, China).  In these cases, the user can submit E-mails with a
From: address, To: address, subject, body, and (with luck) Bcc: headers, but
has
**no** control over what SMTP server (or IP port) is used to send the mail.
Clearly, still, they need to be able to use "their" E-mail From: address, which
will not infrequently be "their own" ["vanity"?] domain name.

There are no shortage of braindead/lame ideas, obviously, where some users
presume that everyone's Internet usage pattern is like their own, but to be
workable we have to allow for EVERYONE's [legitimate!] usage.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.