Re: [Asrg] Practicalities <thread from asrg that should be on ietf-smtp>

2005-05-09 15:27:11
On 5/9/05 11:55 AM, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com sent forth electrons to
convey:

On Sun, 08 May 2005, Matthew Elvey <matthew(_at_)elvey(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 5/8/05 1:37 PM, John Levine sent forth electrons to convey:
That's completely, hopelessly impractical if a user is traveling and has no control over the originating path of their outgoing E-mail.
G P:
Your comments doesn't make sense to me.  What's impractical?
You ignored the one question I asked.

There's nothing in the draft that requires anything impractical of a traveling user.
If you think otherwise, please refer to specific text in the draft.
Leibzon read more into the draft than was there.
The draft contains no text that says that users must use SUBMIT.
What the draft does is require support for a practical method already in common use for traveling users to continue to use the same From: address and server no matter where they are.

(Feel free to quote, unabridged, on ietf-smtp.)
Thanks, but I'm not on that list. Since we're dealing here with approaches designed to control/limit spam, and that's what we're discussing, I feel it's appropriate to talk here.
Actually, the topic is one specific approach.
You violated my explicit request regarding how to treat the content of private email to you. (Not to mention a very strong argument from Crocker.)

<Plonk>.

> (to summarize:) My solution is the only good solution and everything else is nearly useless and breaks stuff <but I can provide no evidence or explanation as to how the draft in question breaks anything I'm taking about.>.

Of course, authentication and certification will only be helpful if there are consequences. I'm willing to bet that the reputation services that will be most useful will be the ones only vouch for very clean entities.

I don't think much of your scheme because it is one to which spammers would very easily adapt if it became widespread. There's no reason the payload of 95-99% of the spam I get wouldn't be readily adapted to limited-size plain text email.