Re: [Asrg] host named "mail" that is not an MX

2005-06-02 21:02:30
["william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net>]
P.S. This also gives an interesting anti-spam option to check, i.e.
purposely change MX to another name/ip and set old server to run
daemon that accepts mail but really sends it all to /dev/null.

$DAYJOB has something similar in place right now: the no-longer-valid
MX accepts mail and, when addressed somewhere valid, sends it on - but
it logs a copy of *all* mail, even mail addressed to totally bogus
addresses.  (It wasn't done as an anti-spam measure, or it would be
devnulling all the mail....)

[Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-spam-ietf-asrg(_at_)Space(_dot_)Net>]
But I have always wondered why e.g. mail.space.net is spammed with
mails for @space.net even if it is not in the MX list.  This is not
because of stale DNS entries (the MX has never been there).

Okay, I've just set myself up to test this theory.  I found a domain I
run the mailer for, one that has never had a host named "mail".  I
created a "mail" name for one of the hosts and set up a simple
log-everything SMTP daemon on it.  We'll see what happens.

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I border-router-blocked any host
sending mail to that host?

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca