Re: [Asrg] Re: Body signature subgroup and the forwarding project

2005-07-27 23:30:43
 The issue isn't so much MTAs as network and gateway issues. ...
 Yes, we all know that.  My goal is to collect some real life data on

The IP network certainly imposes no changes on Internet mail.  So I'm not sure
how "network" can be one of the issues.

As for gateways, those transit to non-Internet mail systems and, of course,
always do some damage to the message. They might be interesting to study, but
we
have enough to worry about simply within the scope of "pure" Internet mail
components.

We simply have the reality that all sorts of noise is imposed on messages as
they transit various UAs, MSAs, MTAs and MDAs.

Hence the study you are proposed will set an empirical baseline for exactly
what
the noise (modification) is and probably how common each bit of modification is.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking