[Asrg] Re: Mailing List Spam

2005-11-24 12:55:22
In <43860095(_dot_)2080600(_at_)craniumpro(_dot_)com> doug campbell
<Doug(_dot_)Campbell(_at_)craniumpro(_dot_)com> writes:

So if someone gets too much unwanted (from their point of view)
traffic, they should just unsubscribe (abandon their email address)
and go subscribe somewhere else (get another email address).  Or,
in the case of the list owners, be diligent in censoring the
data entered into the list.

You do not need to abandon your email address, you just need to
unsubscribe from the mailing list you subscribed to.  The confirmation
process when signing up to a mailing list makes sure that the mailing
list traffic is solicited.  I've never given up an email address
because of the spam problem and I don't recommend that people do so.

We advertise our email address on our websites and other use them
both for legimate communications to us concerning the topics on
our website [...]

That is not a mailing list.  By putting your email address on your
website you are soliciting certain types of on-topic emails, not for
everything.  Emails that are off-topic and are bulk are therefore
spam.

Similarly, when I place my email address into emails going to this
list, I am soliciting private comments about these subjects, I am not
soliciting for any and all email from someone who picks/scrapes up my
email address from this list.

The subject of "what is spam" has been discussed to death in many
forums.  I am firmly in the camp of spam is any and all Unsolicited
Bulk Email (UBE).  There is a little bit of grey are about what it
means to be "unsolicited" and "bulk", but again, these issues have
been discussed to death.  I'm not sure that re-hashing them is really
that productive, so I think I'll drop out of the discussion now.

-wayne