RE: [Asrg] Re: irtf publication path

2005-12-08 10:45:03
On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 at 1:09 PM Frank Ellermann wrote:

If you go for BCP you should really consider two points:

- 127.0.0.1/31 shouldn't be used as "result code", and
  normally they're also never listed.

Frank, would you mind elaborating on why you believe 127.0.0.1/31 should
not be used as a result code?  I know of a few (a very few) blocklists
that return 127.0.0.1.  Yes, I know 127.0.0.1 = localhost, but it was my
understanding that this was the very point of using 127.0.0.1.  I
checked the ASRG archives, but I did not find anything relevant to this
issue.  I apologize if the answer is painfully obvious.

Further, could you please explain why you think this issue is of
sufficient importance to be included in a BCP on DNSBL management.  For
example, can you cite any specific problems caused by blocklists
returning codes of 127.0.0.1.  IOW, how does the use of 127.0.0.1/31 as
a return code present a threat, and what is the magnitude and likelihood
of this threat?

Insofar as a BCP in concerned, do you envision this as a SHOULD NOT or a
MUST NOT?  Finally, do you see this as a provision that is more
appropriate for the BCP than the RFC which John Levine is preparing.

Thanks for any enlightenment you are able to provide.

Regards,

Nick

--

Nick Nicholas