[Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, Vol 21, Issue 19

2006-01-31 23:18:17
Claus Assman said:

Do you change the header in a snail mail when it is forwarded?

What will happen if the mail can't be delivered (after forwarding)?
Do you want the bounce to end up on the forwarding system? Someone
has to inform the "original" sender, right?
I understand. The capability of forwarding to foreign addresses makes SPF nontrivial. Other posters' amplification of your snail mail comment above makes everything clear. I had hopes for SPF but they've all been dashed to smithereens; I think I'll go drown
my sorrows in a bit of ice cream.

Your method of answering compacts a lot of information into a few words. Thank you.

Now to handle the hot water your "man forward" suggestion got me into:

Bill Cole said,

You have not done your research adequately. Sendmail remains the dominant MTA and mail tool suite, while qmail is abandonware.
Actually, I did my research very well. Claus said "man forward" I did that on my windows box and got no answer (of course, that was unexpected because I thought I was in a putty window when I typed the request). I did it on my RHEL4 box and got no answer either, even as root. That was unexpected, because I am a very happy sendmail user, am running a home-built milter, installed the source rpm for sendmail, and hence should have every perk that comes with that status. So I did the google search and guess whose listings pop up on top? qmail, with sendmail a close second. Since google ranks pages by references, qmail appears to outrank sendmail in popularity by the google thermometer. Since I don't use qmail and have no reason to, I had no idea it was abandonware. Google certainly didn't think so.

forward under sendmail also states
nothing about modifications of the envelope and
headers; therefore I must assume that sendmail keeps
them intact.  But why?  I'm trying to understand
history, in an effort not to repeat it.

You would do well to do your research first rather than state what you believe should be as if it is fact.

I stated an assumption; assumptions are hypotheses or axioms, not necessarily
fact.  Clearly I am asking in that paragraph for guidance.  Why the attack,
when both you and Claus attested to the verity of that assumption?

You are right, I could have done more research. Since I have sendmail, I could
have configured an account, made it forward, sent it an e-mail, and observed
the results.  But I have here a team of experienced people who can discuss
the reasons for the things.  How things work is one thing; how they are
meant to work is another.

That's why we subscribe to this list -- to team up to find a way for
e-mail to be what it was meant to be, not what it has become.

Cheers,
Doug Campbell