Re: [Asrg] Re: More e-mail oddities; SPF thoughts

2006-02-06 10:25:31
I think the question we need to be asking is "is this, however
widespread and however longstanding, something we will ultimately be
forced to give up?".
Give up on "the originator as indicated in the Return-Path" ?

Well, I meant ".forward-style forwarding", by which I mean, forwarding
such that when A sends mail to B, which forwards to C, then B's
mailserver accepts the A->B transaction and generates a new SMTP
transaction to C, with the same MAIL From as the first hop but a new
RCPT To.  (Whether B informs A of this with a 251 is mostly irrelevant,
especially since I know of no common MTA software that pushes the 251
back to the user when it's A in that case.)

If that's what you meant by "the originator as indicated in the
Return-Path", well, then, "yes".

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca