[Asrg] Fwd: NSF NeTS FIND Informational Meeting - December 7

2006-11-22 14:53:42
This message came through the IRTF. Anyone have some clever security oriented projects worth funding?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Mankin, Allison J" <amankin(_at_)nsf(_dot_)gov>
Date: November 21, 2006 7:22:19 AM PST
To: <falk(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU>
Cc: "Mankin, Allison J" <amankin(_at_)nsf(_dot_)gov>
Subject: NSF NeTS FIND Informational Meeting - December 7

Dear Aaron,

I think this meeting and program may be of interest for the IRTF RG
Chairs to forward to their groups.  Although NSF is a
U.S. organization, we value international and academic-industry
research collaborations, and it is possible for the U.S. researchers'
institutions to add support for those collaborations, especially for
students, but also in other forms, when the collaboration is integral.
Anyone who is interested in more information about such collaborations
is welcome to get in touch with me.

Here's the url to get to the program page/solicitation:

   http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=12765

Best regards,

Allison
________________________________

The NSF NeTS program will be holding a second one-day informational
meeting for the FIND (Future Internet Design) programmatic area on
December 7, 2006 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in room 375 at NSF. Only
informal registration is required prior to the meeting; please send an
email to either of the FIND Program Directors (contact information
below) to make sure you have a badge to attend the meeting.  We hope
that you can make this meeting if you are interested in submitting a
proposal to the FIND programmatic area of NeTS and did not make the
November 7, 2006 meeting. Please note that if you cannot make this
meeting the webcast from the November 7th meeting will soon be
available on the CRA website www.cra.org.

FIND (Future Internet Design) is a major new long-term initiative of
the NSF NeTS research program. FIND invites the research community to
consider what the requirements should be for a global network of 15
years from now, and how we could build such a network if we are not
constrained by the current Internet-if we could design it from
scratch.  FIND solicits research across the broad area of network
architecture, principles, and mechanism design, aimed at answering
these questions.  The philosophy of the program is to help conceive
the future by momentarily letting go of the present - freeing our
collective minds from the constraints of the current state of
networking.

The intellectual scope of the FIND program is wide. FIND research
might address questions such as:

* How can we design a network that is fundamentally more secure and
  available than today's Internet?

* How would we conceive the security problem if we could start from
  scratch?

* How might such functions as information dissemination, location
  management or identity management best fit into a new network
  architecture?

* What will be the long-term impact of new technologies such as
  advanced wireless and optics?

* How will economics and technology interact to shape the overall
  design of a future network?

* How do we design a network that preserves a free and open society?

________________________________

The meeting

The first set of FIND awards has now been made.  This meeting will
discuss these awards as examples of architectural ideas, provide
guidance for potential proposers about the program's goals, structure,
and review process, and offer community discussion and feedback about
this exciting new initiative in networking research.

The goals, structure, and emphasis of the FIND initiative differ
somewhat from other NETS programs. For this reason, researchers
interested in these topics are particularly encouraged to attend this
informational meeting.

Location: National Science Foundation,
          4201 Wilson Boulevard,
          Arlington VA 22230

Time and Meeting Room:  9 AM-3 PM, Room 375

Program Directors:
  Darleen Fisher dlfisher(_at_)nsf(_dot_)gov
<mailto:dlfisher(_at_)nsf(_dot_)gov>
  Allison Mankin amankin(_at_)nsf(_dot_)gov <mailto:amankin(_at_)nsf(_dot_)gov>

The agenda will include presentations by NSF and by currently funded
PIs as well as ample time for questions and answers.