Re: [Asrg] This is a request for feedback from experts/regulars to help reduce spam backscatter from Sieve implementations

2006-11-29 09:35:08

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Matthew Elvey wrote:

Please read the whole email before responding.

This is a request for a particular kind of feedback from experts/regulars on the issue of spam blowback (i.e. Joe-jobs/backscatter due to forged MAIL FROM's) from Sieve-based systems. There's some relevant work going on on ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org(_dot_)

It's not be possible to identify some such backscatter. If you get backscatter that says, " Your message was automatically rejected by Sieve, a mail filtering language.", or is "From: Mail Sieve Subsystem <postmaster[at]somedomain.dom>", it's coming from a Sieve-based system, and that's what I want to hear about. (Though if it's not there, that does NOT mean its wasn't from such a system.)

I looked through a few hundred thousand messages here and found none of that form. Is this perhaps a sign that current users of Sieve are carefull not to use it in situations where it might generate a DNS to a forged address, and that if a true early reject feature were available, Sieve might have much wider applicability and more users?

Daniel Feenberg