[Asrg] big uptick in from addresses with single quotes in them..

2006-12-01 10:33:45

Probably not exactly the right group to post to on this subject, but I've been
noticing a huge spate of spam with from addresses (at least) of the form:

foo'bar(_at_)example(_dot_)com
or
fo'oba'r(_at_)example(_dot_)com

I'm not exactly sure why this is but I suspect it may be aimed at sql database lookups where the name isn't properly escaped. If that is in fact the reason, and that they're doing this because it gets more spam through, it's sort of frightening
because it's a very short road to other sql exploits.

Anybody else have some insight about this?

      Mike