Re: [Asrg] DNSxL notation for IPv6?

2007-09-18 13:02:05
Matthias Leisi wrote:

Douglas Otis schrieb:

Although the 64 bytes needed for reversed IPv6 address names impacts
reverse lookups, and schemes like rfc4025, returning an A record is not
a problem.  The zone size for programs like rbldnsd will necessitate
additional servers.

A large DNSBL has in the area of 5 mio entries. CPU and I/O load should
not be a problem with IPv6 addresses.

One of the DSBL variants has around 11 million, and one of the SORBs lists had 13m when I last looked. We have run with both CBL (5m entries) and DSBL simultaneously, no problems.

Even when you combine them altogether into a single zone, where each entry has its own A record, rbldnsd still behaves pretty nicely.

Our zone file is ~500mb, and we do several million queries per day, and get sustained query rates of ~2-3 million/hour upon occasion. CPU is still under ~5%.

Not a problem for reasonably modern hardware.