RE: [Asrg] ASRG session at IETF 71

2008-01-15 10:11:51
I don't think anti-spam is a research issue any more.

It is now accepted that there are two approaches to stopping spam, filtering
out the bad stuff, making it easier to identify the good stuff.

When we started there were plenty of folk who were pretty hostile to second
approach. None of the authentication based proposals submitted to the first
Spam conference at MIT were accepted, Bayesian filtering was the answer.

Today we have two email authentication protocols designed to support the second
approach and we have an emerging accreditation infrastructure to support them.
Over time it is clear that the accountability approach is going to be the
convergence point. Everyone accepts that spam is due to a lack of
accountability, so why should we expect the answer to be something else?

I don't have much to add in this forum. But since John plugs his book in every
sig I think it is fair turns to point out that Adisson Wesley has just
published my first book, The dotCrime Manifesto: How to Stop Internet Crime.

Stopping spam and draining the botnets are both necessary if we are going to
stop Internet crime. But the problems are all linked. Spam begets botnets,
botnets beget spam and the motive for both is 95% hard core crime. It would be
really nice if we were in a position to discuss where the boundary for
acceptable email use actually lies. But thats like arguing where the border
between East Germany and Poland should lie while they are both occupied by the
Soviet Union. The spammers that cause the vast bulk of spam are total hardcore
criminals.

At this point I think there is rather more to be done to stop spam by working
on other parts of the spam cycle. And this has the bonus of helping stop other
Internet crimes.

So maybe we need an Anti Crime Research Group, which might serve as an
interface to the Anti Phishing working group and the rest.