[Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-04

2008-07-29 10:59:12
This represents an improvement over the prior draft. However there are recommendations that will not endure evolving bad-actor strategies, and opinions expressed about block-list automation that is wholly wrong for the same reason, evolving bad-actor strategies.

It is understandable for a draft to speak to a constituency of supporters. In this case, the supportive audience appears to include bulk senders and ISPs. After all, these two groups are dramatically affected by the operation of block-lists intent at mitigating abusive behavior. Unfortunately, a few recommendations being made in this draft can not be characterized as a best practice.

Most predominately:
,---
| 2.2.3.  Removals SHOULD Be Prompt

| A DNSBL MAY impose restrictions on who (e.g. network operator's
| representative or domain name owner) may make valid removal requests.
| However, in many DNSBLs this is inadvisable because it requires
| impractical amounts of effort and is hence NOT RECOMMENDED in most
| cases.
'___

Limiting interaction to owners of an address space or domain limits with whom the DNSBL operator interacts. In this perspective, such a requirement reduces the efforts required of a responsible DNSBL operator. Since few if any DNSLB operators can observe more than a small percentage of the traffic showing signs of abuse, the role automation might play is extremely limited. Such automation should be seen as a short-term strategy in response to the proliferation of spam sent with the aid of bot-nets. Unfortunately, a growing percentage of bad-actors utilizing bot-net services also take advantage of millions of 0wned systems to rapidly discover which email destinations are monitored.

Even when a large number of new destinations on divergent networks are added, more than 30% of today's bad-actors now able to quickly avoid these new destinations due to automated listing and delisting practices. As a result, automated listing and delisting now leads to spam trap blindness. Something that causes blindness can hardly be characterized a best practice. Without supporting evidence, bad- actors are then free to continue spamming. Only the ISP or domain owner are able to fully monitor the situation and ensure the detected abuse stops. Direct interaction with end-users by DNSBL operators is seldom productive, and automation is ultimately not practical at achieving their desired goals.

Remove the sentence:

: However, in many DNSBLs this is inadvisable because it requires
: impractical amounts of effort and is hence NOT RECOMMENDED in most
: cases.

and the subsequent paragraphs--

: Many DNSBLs can effectively use a "no questions asked" removal policy
: because by their very nature they will redetect or relist problems
: almost immediately.  They can mitigate more organized attempts to
: "game" the system by elementary checking and rate-limiting
: procedures, increasing lockout periods, rescans etc.  Furthermore, a
: few IP addresses more or less usually do not make a significant
: difference in the overall effectiveness of a DNSBL.  Moreover, a "no
: questions asked" removal policy provides the huge benefit of a swift
: reaction to incorrect listings.
:
: As an example, one popular DNSBL uses a "no questions asked" removal
: policy, but does perform rate-limiting and malicious removal
: detection and mitigation.
:
: Another important consideration supporting a "no questions asked"
: self-removal policy is that it forestalls many conflicts between
: DNSBL operators and organizations whose IP/domain addresses have been
: listed.  Such a policy may be an effective measure to prevent small
: issues from becoming big problems.

Section 2.2.1 also attempts to sell the flawed concept of listing automation:

2.2.1.  Listings SHOULD Be Temporary

Remove item 3 since automation of block-listing is increasing defeated. Shortly this strategy will need to be abandoned.

:3. Automated DNSBLs with highly effective detection and fast listing
:  mechanisms can benefit from very short expiration intervals.
:  Many of the things that these DNSBLs look for are of relatively
:  short duration, and even if they do expire, a resumption of the
:  behaviour will be caught quickly by the DNSBL's detection
:  mechanisms and relisted.  By utilizing a short expiration
:  interval, after reassignment/problem correction, the listing will
:  automatically expire in short order without manual intervention.

We are currently revising the role automation plays in our offerings. Even content filtering is becoming less effective. Perhaps within a few short years, traditional prophylactic mechanisms will become dramatically less effective. If anything, reliance upon automation and content filtering serves to better educate bad actors, and ultimately make the Internet more dangerous. Although this is not something ISPs and bulk senders want to hear, only network providers are able to properly deal with the growing and increasingly dangerous problem. The bad-actors managing bot-nets of hundreds of millions of 0wned systems no longer represent a cottage community of individuals or sales staff with somewhat questionable ethics.

This draft is painting a distorted picture that may have been valid a decade ago, but no longer represents what might be a best practice moving forward. Taking out sections that represent Feel-Good rhetoric about automation. Striking this failing strategy would greatly increase the contribution this draft might make in finding better solutions moving forward.

-Doug