Re: [Asrg] New Version Notification for draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-07

2008-10-13 05:34:52
John R Levine wrote:
I picked a few more nits and hope it's now ready to send down the standards track.

Note that this is the I-D about the technical characteristics of DNSBLs, not the BCP on how to manage them.

I think http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-07 is good and hope it won't be delayed further. However, I have a general comment which may apply to it and/or the (yet unseen) companion document mentioned in the intro.

The document doesn't plainly say that rDNS follows hierarchical delegations while DNSBLs make independent statements about someone else's IPs. This fact and its implications are so obvious among the readers of this document, that the very explanation of rDNS is confined between parentheses in an incidental sentence at the beginning of section 2.1.

However, who are those readers? Specifically, what documents should a politician or a judge read in order to become acquainted with DNSBLs? The question is relevant because assigned IP addresses are somehow part of a country's territory and IMHO should be administered as such. (In this respect, I'm surprised that governments don't run their own DNSxLs or, at least, endorse existing ones.)

Because of the importance of the Internet in general, I would suggest that RFCs include a legal considerations section for aiding lawmakers, where relevant. Am I out of line?

TYFYA