Re: [Asrg] Forwarding agreements (was processing mailing list headers (was FeedBack loops))

2008-11-14 04:35:33
Seth wrote:
Years back, I made a suggestion to insert the ISP into the loop so the
ISP _knows_ that the user opted in to a list.  That makes it easy for
the ISP to decide that "TIS" means "unsubscribe" (or even "Ask the
user if that was an oops").

Without the ISP knowing that the subscription is legitimate, the
message has to be reported the usual way.

Yes! Opt-in info has to be stored at the recipient's server, in addition to the sender's:

The sender obviously needs the recipient's address; but cannot provide a standard mechanism for unsubscribing, since there isn't one.

The recipient's ESP could use the knowledge that a message belongs to a subscribed list in a number of useful ways (e.g. to suppress auto responders.) Semantically, that would validate the sender's opt-in record. However, notifying opt-ins is not standardized either.

Thus, I think there is a whole protocol that we're missing. Can't we just specify it in an RFC and see if it flies?