Re: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?)

2009-01-08 16:05:47
on 4) for information there is this blocking list:
http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?ipr=202.170.42.206

but it tends to block by AS number and in the above case, AS9241 is the whole
country of Fiji.

Also as a note, I think dealing with high volume mail sender is not the issue,
they are known, we know their technics, etc... it is more to deal with the long
tail of little companies, organisations, small ISPs, etc..

----- Original Message -----
From: "SM" <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net>
To: "Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF" <asrg(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, 9 January, 2009 8:43:58 AM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected
Subject: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?)

At 12:10 08-01-2009, Douglas Otis wrote:
There are methods that can be used to limit risks related to
whitelisting domains.  Often these involve capturing prior
conversations and noting where the message originated.  The locations
might then be expanded to CIDRs, routes, or acquired address lists.

Is it that important to note where the message originated?  Although
the where is commonly used as input for lack of a better reference
point, it can be a problem when renumbering a network or for mobility.

Did this message reach you because:

  1. it came from the irtf.org domain

  2. it came from the ASRG email address

  3. it came from an IP address associated with 1 or 2

  4. it came from a CIDR block you view as "safe"

Regards,
-sm

P.S. You may decide not to answer the above question to limit the
risks related to whitelisting.