Re: [Asrg] SPF and other bad ideas

2009-01-20 12:42:14

On Jan 20, 2009, at 3:57 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 08:12:33AM +0100, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
Since we are not able to come up with a definition of spam, we cannot
define what is legitimate use either.

The correct definition of spam has been well-known as "unsolicited bulk
email" for many years -- a definition that traces its lineage back to
the use of earlier, less precise terms such as "mail mail abuse" and
"junk mail" that were around in the early 1980's.

Actually, no.

The "correct" definition of spam varies depending on the context
you're using the term in.

Which is one of the reasons it's a good idea to avoid the term
entirely, and instead be specific in your terminology.

 Please, let's not
reopen this question here, as there is absolutely no need to do so given
that it's been covered in excruciating depth elsewhere.

That I can agree with.

Cheers,
  Steve