Re: [Asrg] Software bashing [mostly OT, but on at the end]

2009-01-23 00:18:46
If 90% of all the computer workstations were running Linux, then the
virus/malware authors would be writing viruses for THAT platform.
Same is true for Macs.
This is nonsense: there *was* a time when most of the computer
workstations on this network were running Unix, yet we did not see
massive malware infections with network-wide negative impact on a
recurring and persistent basis.

Yes, but there were some other important differences.  To name just the
first two that comes to mind, there was basically no money to be had
writing malware, and the network was substantially more heterogenous
than today's is.  ("Windows" now is not homogenous, no, but I believe
it's closer than "Unix" then was.)

Furthermore, the claim you're replying to is about what would be
written.  What sort of infection rates the resulting malware would
achieve are a separate question.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org