Re: [Asrg] reject and DSN, was What are the IPs

2009-07-02 05:18:18

--On 1 July 2009 22:08:45 +0000 John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

But, what good reason is there for NOT using a DSN when you get an
SPF pass?

Why should it do anything different from what it does the other 95% of
the time?  SPF is far from universal, and a whole lot of SPF lookups
end up saying "maybe".

You've avoided the question. SPF and DKIM are both growing quite rapidly. Some day, you'll get a definite answer for most of your mail. Or, perhaps it'll be some other sender domain authentication technology.

So, why should one NOT send a DSN when the domain is authenticated? You said "5xx is cheaper and less likely to cause collateral damage." Well, the cost is minimal, and there's some benefit when we're confident about the sender domain.

And, what's the risk collateral damage when the sender domain is authenticated? I guess there's a risk that the authentication mechanism has been compromised - but that's the responsibility of the domain owner, isn't it?

R's,
John

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex