Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-criteria (was Re: request for review for a non FUSSP proposal)

2009-07-03 04:32:17
I agree with Alessandro's point, I think the definition section would
be more appropriate if it described the problem of definition and
encouraged the authors of proposed techniques to describe the scope of
their technique, with an optional working definition of the term.

It is then up to the adopters of the technique to decide whether or
not its effects would alleviate the problems with which they are
concerned.

I also agree with Claudio in that at an academic level our inability
to define the term will automatically make the problem unsolvable
because we can't state the problem.

However on an empirical view we do know how to recognise a solution,
and so we can re-target our definition of a solution to being any
technique which can pass agreed empirical tests, and that the
definition of the problem then becomes the inverse of the tests for an
effective technique, whether or not that can be easily expressed in a
succinct form of words.

d.