Re: [Asrg] Request for Feedback: draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation-03

2009-09-23 07:57:07
Mody, Nirmal wrote:
We are looking for feedback on draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation-03.

I think this bot-remediation I-D might be better coordinated with the RID, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moriarty-post-inch. Since "[d]etection of a security incident is outside the scope of [the latter] paper", they complement one another. In particular, the former paper misses a definition of ISP, which is less ambiguously termed "network provider (NP)" in the latter.

The definition of "Computer" given in 2.3 apparently limits the scope of the I-D to end-user appliances, i.e. not servers. Although that's consistent with the Problem Statement, it might be worth repeating it in section "4. Important Notice of Limitations and Scope".

In section "2.4 Malware", I'd reword this snippet

 This is short for malicious software.  In this case, malicious bots
 are considered a subset of malware.  Other forms of malware could
 include viruses and other similar types of software.

to make a clearer definition, e.g. as

 This is short for malicious software.  The bots we consider are a
 subset of malware.  Malware also includes viruses, Trojans, spyware,
 adware, and similar types of software.

In the successive snippet

 Alternatively, Internet-connected computers may become infected with
 malware through externally initiated malicious activities such as the
 exploitation of vulnerabilities or the brute force guessing of access
 credentials.

I would also mention that an attacker may already know the password (but doesn't this involve servers?) E.g.

 Alternatively, Internet-connected computers may become infected with
 malware through externally initiated malicious activities such as the
 exploitation of vulnerabilities, the brute force guessing of access
 credentials, or the exploitation of such credentials obtained at a
 previously compromised computer.

The second paragraph in section "5. Detection of Bots" is very long and difficult. In particular, in this sentence

                 It is likely that a combination of multiple bot
 detection data points will prove to be an effective approach in order
 to corroborate information of varying dependability or consistency,
 as well as to avoid or minimize the possibility of false positive
 identification of computers.

it is not clear what is a "data point"? I guess you are talking about data interchange between ISPs, as detailed in the above mentioned RID.

The same paragraph again talks about bots that are "malicious in nature", a concept that I fail to understand. The I-D never talks about ascertaining whether a user knows about the bot and accepts accountability for its actions, which would classify it as non-malware.

The section continues with items (a) through (g). I'd suggest converting them to subsections, for better quoting and pointing to them. Only a couple of those items are relevant for mailbox providers; should that be noted?

I'm surprised about item (f)

 f.  ISPs may also discover likely bot infected hosts located at other
     sites; when legally permissible or otherwise an industry accepted
     practice in a particular market region, it may be worthwhile for
     ISPs to share evidence relating to those compromised hosts with
     the relevant remote ISP, with security researchers, and with
     blocklist operators.

I assume it is about firewall-detected scans, attempts to access closed ports, well known URIs, as well as dictionary attacks, and similar. If there really exist laws that forbid to notify such intrusion attempts to the relevant abuse mailbox, they are wrong and the IETF should lobby the relevant governments for abrogating them...

The title of section "6.2. Telephone Call Notification" might perhaps be changed to "Telephone or Fax Call Notification". In particular, fax numbers are more often answered by computers.

In section "6.4. Walled Garden Notification", it may be worth to mention IP fingerprinting as a possible disambiguation for NATted hosts, as described, e.g., in http://www.rbeverly.net/research/papers/tcpclass-pam04.html http://www.sflow.org/detectNAT/. This concern is addressed in section 7 ("diligence needs to be taken by the ISP where possible such that they can identify") so a "see also" might be needed.

In section 7, the sentence
                                                    This security web
 site should clearly explain why the user was notified and may include
 an explanation of what bots are, and the threats that they pose.

assumes that the ISP is tightly coordinated with the provider of the security web site. I only note that section 7 should be of interest also for standalone computer servicing shops' web sites.

The text suggested for explanation ("What is a bot? [...]") does not mention that the user may be held legally accountable for any damage that the bot may perpetrate.

The paragraph of section "9. Security Considerations" sounds to me like "since this doc is all about security, this section only exists for accomplishing formal RFC requirements." IMHO, in this context, it would be more useful to recap the risks of phishing by notifying false infections, and to collect the passages where PII is concerned.

Finally, a few typos

s/solical/social/
s/poses can pose/can pose/
s/Compters/Computers/