Re: [Asrg] who has the message (was Re: Consensus Call - submission via posting (was Re: Iteration #3))

2010-02-08 14:39:33

On 2/8/2010 11:11 AM, Andrew Richards wrote:
>> The alternative requires that a copy of the message still be at the
>>   server. That works in only some MUA-based models.  Often/typically, the
>>   entire message is downloaded to the MUA's site and the server no longer
>>   has a copy.  Hence, it's too late to enjoy merely passing a citation
>>   back to the server.
>
> I wish to imply that it would become a requirement for the server to hold a
> copy if it wishes to implement this functionality

That creates a massive barrier to adoption.  Huge implementation overhead.

>> The challenge is the "few days".  It means that the mechanism fails
>>   after a few days.  Is that acceptable?  Why?
>
> Reports of spam are most useful the fresher they are

while no doubt true, it is not a clear to me that it's appropriate to make it impossible to submit older reports.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking