Re: [Asrg] Summary/outline of why the junk button idea is pre-failed

2010-03-03 05:22:30

--On 2 March 2010 10:56:38 -0500 Rich Kulawiec <rsk(_at_)gsp(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 08:40:33AM -0500, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
This message ignores the existence of TIS buttons on existing MUAs
for webmail operators, and the actual experience that those
operators have.

No, actually, it takes that into primary consideration.  It simply
extrapolates out to Internet scale by asking "what if everyone did this?"

I've found AOL feedback loop reports very useful. In fact, the false positives have been the most useful because they've given me the evidence to argue for better practice on our systems. That is, people have reported messages from subscribed forums - I've argued that the forum should have finer grained controls over email notifications (at thread level), and that the messages should contain links to the controls that they have.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex