[Asrg] I-D Action: draft-levine-iprangepub-02.txt

2011-03-15 00:20:52
I've updated my draft describing a b-tree approach to publishing DNSxLs.

I rewrote a lot of it to make it easier to follow, and added some
stuff to handle multiple overlapping ranges with exception entries,
like rbndnsd handles.  I reran some experiments yesterday using
a snapshot of the Spamhaus Zen BL and a day's stream of connections,
about 100K of them, and got a 78% hit rate using small (512 byte) records.
I'll try it with bigger EDNS0 records and see if it makes much difference.

It's a little rough toward the end, since I had to rush it in to beat
the pre-Prague submission deadline.

R's,
John

--- snip ---

        Title           : An efficient method to publish ranges of IP addresses
in the DNS
        Author(s)       : J. Levine
        Filename        : draft-levine-iprangepub-02.txt
        Pages           : 14
        Date            : 2011-03-14

The DNS has long been used to publish lists of IPv4 address ranges in
blacklists and whitelists.  The size of the IPv6 address space makes
the entry-per-IP approach used for IPv4 lists impractical.  A new
technique for publishing IP address ranges is described.  It is
intended to permit efficient publishing and querying, and to have
good DNS cache behavior.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-levine-iprangepub-02.txt

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/