Re: [Asrg] URL shorteners, spam and DNS

2011-08-23 11:55:41
Bit.ly allows you to add a "+" to the end of a shortened URL to see
where it goes and to also see some stats regarding the URL. Picking a
random URL from Google News, try this.... http://bit.ly/ovrbAu+. My
understanding is that a number of other well known shortener providers
have followed suit.

I think they have and I think it's a great thing if you're a human and you want
to check a shortened URL before clicking the link. But if you're a computer
it's not very useful, definitely not easier than sending a HEAD request (which
I hadn't though of and will of course be faster than GET).

Martijn.

Virus Bulletin Ltd, The Pentagon, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, England.
Company Reg No: 2388295. VAT Reg No: GB 532 5598 33.