Re: [Asrg] Greylisting BCP

2011-11-12 23:29:33
-----Original Message-----
From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz
[mailto:Jose-Marcio(_dot_)Martins(_at_)mines-paristech(_dot_)fr]
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:47 AM
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF
Cc: Murray S. Kucherawy
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Greylisting BCP

You should take some care with this. Ressource usage varies a lot with
different implementations :
you'll find in memory chained lists, some RDBMS (e.g. MySQL) or
ISAM/B-Tree/HASH (e.g. BerkeleyDB).
Some implementations are smarter than others about ressources needes :
e.g. how to expire old entries or how to aggregate them. And this makes
a big difference on how expensive the filter is.

Put simply, when talking about greylisting, expensive or not is more
related to the implementation and to some tuning (e.g. delays) than to
the method itself. I'm not even talking about poor programming
practices...

The point is that there is a range of expenses based on the implementation, the
cost is rarely zero or even close to it.  I don't think it's necessary to run
up a full bill of materials for each possible implementation in the BCP, but
merely to make it clear that the benefits have a definite cost associated with
them in terms of resources.