[ietf-clear] Re. CLEAR Charter

2004-09-30 09:48:08

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:07:08 +0100, "Tony Finch" <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at> said:
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Matthew Elvey wrote:

Diff:
http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/ClearCharter?action=diff

Good stuff: that covers most of the comments I would have made.

I also suggest "This working group will produce techniques for validating
these
low-level identities" -- moving "low-level" because the identities are
low-level not the techniques.
That's the best so far, IMO.  Made me think that we want to point out
that these are existing Standard Protocol-level identities, as opposed
to "Experimental or I-D-level identities".

From Matthew's changes I suggest "cross-domain" instead of
"interoperable".
:)

Doug said:
[Re. HELO non-FQDN] ...Less is more.

Yes, the existing text (that I quoted) in CSV is clear.  CSV requires a
published FQDN in HELO.  I like that.

(Please read whole paragraph!) However, it's also then not quite
consistent with the applicable RFCs, which say that other things are OK
in HELO.  I'm OK with this conflict.  We can claim consistency with
applicable BCPs, or even "consistency with applicable BCPs and RFCs
where they do not conflict with BCP" or even "consistency with
applicable BCPs and RFCs where they do not already conflict with each
other" however.  (Surely there's a BCP that requires a FQDN in HELO?)
Well, EXCEPT Dave has pasted the ABNF syntax, which mandates an FQDN**
and the ABNF syntax in a Standard is to be considered authoritative. So
I've gone ahead and put in Glube's wording.  :)

**2821 mandates a 'domain', but defines a domain as an FQDN.

As far as I can tell, the IETF does not do standards that are
INcompatible with other IETF standards.
I've heard it said otherwise (perhaps including Draft Standards or even
Standards-track RFCs).  What maturity level are you referring to?

I made some other edits too.  s/HELO/RFC2821.Helo\/Ehlo/, merged in a
change of Doug's from
http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-clear/2004-September/000001.html ,
wording intended to be easier to read,...
http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/ClearCharter