[ietf-clear] No callbacks, please, was Re. CLEAR Charter

2004-10-03 11:09:11
On 3 Oct 2004 16:48:59 -0000, John Levine wrote:
 Any sort of per message callback (or per sender callback
 which amounts to the same thing in view of the random way
 spammers forge return addresses), will be in practice a DDOS
 CLEAR already has BATV and CSV on the table.

If BATV uses a public scheme, presumably there is at least a DNS
query per message, to get the key.

Although this query would not go directly back to the 'caller'
and, therefore, is not strictly a call-back scheme, it does
impose a per-message, receive-time, cross-net exchange.

In terms of transaction costs, how would this differ from what
SES is proposing?

d/

ps. I'm not commenting on the issues of creating an operating a
new distributed query infrastructure.  My question is only about
the per-message transaction cost.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking