[ietf-clear] HELO + DNS correctness stats

2004-12-01 12:58:38
Some stats from the logs on one of my MX hosts:

Total rejections:       123921
Failed HELO checks:     101417
Forward DNS correct:      2128

Total accepted:          31754
Failed HELO checks:      13349
Forward DNS correct:      3196

"HELO checks" means that the reverse DNS and forward DNS and HELO domain
must match. This was checked at SMTP time by Exim. "Forward DNS correct"
means that an A lookup on the HELO domain yields the client's IP address.
This was checked just now by a simple program based on adns. (It's useful
to be able to sustain 10000 concurrent DNS queries when doing this kind of
job.)

So, today this machine has rejected 80% of incoming messages. According to
SpamAssassin about 15% of the messages we accept are spam so you might
want to adjust the numbers on that basis.

Of the rejected messages, 80% have a completely bad HELO domain, and 2%
have a HELO domain that's correct only in the forward direction.

Of the accepted messages, 32% have a completely bad HELO domain, and 10%
have a HELO domain that's correct only in the forward direction.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
MALIN HEBRIDES: NORTHEAST 4 OR 5 INCREASING 6. RAIN LATER. GOOD BECOMING